Saturday, March 30, 2013

Live & Learn: Running in a Foreign Land



by Diane Bosley 
 In January of this year we spent two weeks in Costa Rica. The main reason for this trip was to relax and spend quality time with my family, including my first grandchild! So my goal was to get in some training runs without disrupting other activities.

   Costa Rica is pretty close to the equator. I love opportunities to catch Vitamin D rays when I can. The sun feels really good, but you can be frying in just a few hours.  Also, daylight is pretty much 6am to 6pm (give or take an hour) year round. In Moravia the temperature averages 60 overnight and 80 during the day. At the beach those temps rise to between 70 and 90. Needless to say, living in Ohio, I am used to running in less predictable and often cooler weather.

    When I run 3-5 miles in Ohio I don’t worry about carrying water. I can also run strategically so that I have access to water in many of our local parks.  In Costa Rica many downtowns have parks, but water fountains are nonexistent.

   When we were in Moravia, I was running at altitudes near 4000 ft and then at the beach it was basically 0 to 200 ft of elevation. Even though I have lots of hills in my workouts here, somehow it does not compare. In Costa Rica there is very little flat ground, few sidewalks, and many narrow and uneven streets.

   On my first day of running, my son Michael went out with me for about a five mile loop.  Since he lives in Costa Rica he now talks in kilometers, so as I am running, I am converting this information in my mind to miles.  Recognizing landmarks and committing them to memory is very important, because there are very few street signs even in bigger cities. The postal delivery system there is a topic for discussion all its own. In the map of our route you can see my son kept it very simple, lots of left turns and pretty straight.



   Next time, running on my own, I had a loose plan of 10-15 miles- starting with that same loop and figuring out the rest from there. I knew there was a college (didn’t notice the name) down our street and a corner bar (no obvious name) where I made my first turn- but I could go left or right. I thought that I had correctly gone to the left. When I got to the main intersection and I started what I remembered would be a long downhill. I remembered the fire station just before the bridge and that I would pass a McDonalds and KFC. I had to cross one very busy intersection by a gas station. Then I passed a downtown and my next turn to the left would be at the Ricky Pollo.  Next I passed a local fresh juice store and then another intersection, but I was looking for the home improvement store to my right. I didn’t see it so I continued on downhill. When I got to 3 miles on my watch and was seeing more of a factory district and none of the landmarks I was expecting were showing up I got a little flustered. So I started back uphill trying to just retrace what I had done.  You can see on the second map, I started out ok running the straight horizontal line and then taking a left.  However it’s the lower left where I took the FIRST wrong turn.


    After a few other missteps, I made one extra turn and managed to get back to the Tibas downtown and the same road I had run down. After passing several of the same landmarks going back up, I started looking for a Superbattery place to be on the corner where I would turn back into our neighborhood. I got all the way uphill and hadn’t seen it and then saw the Automercado grocery store that was at least a half mile beyond where we were staying. I tried a few things, starting back down for a short distance on the next right. I turned down one street thinking I had to be close to our apartment and ended up outside a church that was open. I walked inside and said a prayer. Then I went back up to the main street I had turned in from.

    I got all the way back to the Automercado and looked up and realized there was a billboard for a college- 5 minutes away. I was thinking it had to be the one on our street so I went down on the left side thinking I would see another sign letting me know I was closer or where to turn. I didn’t go far enough and turned around again, started back down the hill to the right and went as far as the fire station.  (These are the loops on the right side of the second map)  I was pretty much walking at this point, and now out for more than three hours.   So as I started back up that hill again, I finally noticed a small sign saying that a  university was 800 meters. I turned down the street, RECOGNIZED the corner bar and then I saw the college straight ahead!



    Since I was still  short of ten miles, I decided to keep running because I  was sure  I knew the way to my son and daughter-in-laws apartment complex. You can see on the last map, where the lines are much straighter.   I was now running on roads I remembered!   All I needed to do was cross to the other side, pass the new Lincoln shopping mall and go straight uphill again until I got to the corner where the Blue school was. Then I would go down that street  to get to the beauty parlor, and make one  more turn and I would be there .




    I made it to the apartment complex, but like much of Costa Rica it is gated in. I rang the buzzer for their apartment, I even yelled out for Laura and stood there for a few minutes. A man who was working inside the property came to the gate. My Spanish skills are pretty poor and at that moment I could not think of a single thing beyond hello or thank you.  He spoke a little English, and let me know that the Americano- my son was not there. I said I knew that Laura and the baby were.  I pointed out her car, so he went and knocked at the door. Nobody answered.

    I tried again with the house next door, remembering that it was where their landlord lived. He came to the gate and also spoke to me in English. He dialed Laura’s cell phone and still got no answer. I thanked him, he gave me some water and then I started back towards our apartment. What I later found out was that Laura was interviewing a nanny. She had let her take care of my granddaughter for a short time while she took a shower. She told her not to worry about the door or phone, to concentrate on the baby. So my timing was just lousy!

     Looking at the Garmin maps I can see that there were actually two Universidad’s very close by.  I should have started out turning right and then it would have been all lefts going around on the original loop. I was correct in knowing that a battery place was on the corner of our street but on the opposite end.

   I learned too many lessons that day. I walked out with only a key to get back in our complex and a small amount of water. I carried no colones (money), no id, no phone numbers and did not put on sunscreen. My husband was upset with me, but didn’t realize how long I had actually been out! Even though we were staying in an area that I know was safe, my mistakes took me to an area that I was less sure of.   I was also relying on people being able to speak my language.  I should have let my family know more clearly my plans.
    I did run again a few days later at the beach with my son and then on my own. During those runs I stayed on just the main road from out the gate of our condo community. I ended my vacation running a 9k race back in Moravia. A lot of that course was familiar from my “lost” adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment